Achieving the MDGs: Slum Upgrading and Affordable Housing
Following on the conclusions of the World Urban Forum II and the recent MDGs Millennium Summit, this dialogue will address the challenges and opportunities for the achievement of the MDGs target on slums. In light of the scale and severity of the slum challenge, participants will explore practical solutions such as the provision of security of tenure and affordable land, the need for inclusive slum upgrading processes that empower the urban poor, as well as adequate mechanisms for financing slum upgrading, affordable housing, and proactive programmes to avoid the formation of new slums. Participants represent the whole spectrum of stakeholders and come with concrete experiences. They have all actively contributed to a wide range of slum upgrading programmes, delivery of affordable housing and promotion of security of tenure.
- Jacques Bensimon, Government Film Commissioner and Chairperson, National Film Board of Canada
Commentators to include:
- Rose Molokoane, South African Homeless People’s Federation, South Africa
- Luz Maria Sanchez Hurtado, Executive Director, Estrategia, Peru
- Arif Hassan, Chairman, Urban Resource Centre (URC), Pakistan
- Miloon Kothari, UN Special Rapporteur on the Right of Adequate Housing