Issued on: 17th July, 2012
Consultant – Monitoring and Reporting
24th July, 2012
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-HABITAT, is the focal point for human settlements in the United Nations. UN-Habitat is implementing a six year medium-term strategic and institutional plan (MTSIP) 2008-2013. Implementation is done through two year work programme and budgets. The organization is recruiting a consultant to monitor progress made on implementation of the work programme and the MTSIP and produce periodic reports. In carrying out this function, the consultant will work closely with all branches and units in the organization. This position is located in the Quality Assurance Unit, Office of Management.
The consultant will undertake the following tasks;
- Coordination and implementation of result-based monitoring and reporting within UN-Habitat:
- Review and update the current MTSIP monitoring and reporting template ensuring that it incorporates recommendations of the UN Board of Auditors, the CPR and other best practices;
- Working with branch focal points, coordinate results-based monitoring and reporting on the biennial work programme and report through an electronic information management system, IMDIS;
- Coordinate monitoring and reporting on the Medium-term Strategic and Institutional Plan (MTSIP) and prepare the six monthly report on progress made on implementation of the Plan;
- Ensure that comments and recommendations of the CPR and other partners are incorporated in the reports and related actions brought to the attention of respective managers;
- Ensure that findings of evaluations are reflected in the MTSIP and other progress reports;
- Build staff capacities in analytical and results-focused performance monitoring and reporting
- Contribute to development of the performance measurement plan for the six-year strategic plan for 2014-2019;
- Provide conceptual guidance to ensure a strong and robust monitoring and reporting system, and assist in the development and refinement of relevant formats and tools
- Ensure that branches provide evidence for the results reported
Excellent knowledge and skills in applying results-based management essential; proven knowledge and experience of designing and implementing results-based monitoring and reporting at organizational level; ability to drive performance measurement and reporting on a corporate strategy; solid knowledge of programme/project management, results-based management and logic model development required.
Proven ability to work collaboratively across the entire organization in teams and in a flexible manner; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; and commitment to organizational and team goals.
Strong writing and oral communication skills in English and excellent analytical skills essential for this function; an ability to articulate ideas in a clear and concise style both orally and in written to staff at all levels in the organization required; and a proven ability for preparing comprehensive documents and reports is required;
Planning and organizing:
Ability to work with all branches, obtaining inputs and preparing the planning documents in an efficient and timely manner. Working under pressure, able to organise own work and establish priorities, coordinate own work and that of others in the context of competing deadlines.
Advanced university degree in the social sciences, management or any relevant discipline; training in monitoring and reporting desirable, including quantitative and qualitative methods essential. Expertise in results based management essential.
At least 7 years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in monitoring and reporting, evaluation, programming, program management, data management, survey and research at national / international levels; experience of conducting qualitative and quantitative assessments; strong analytical skills are a must; excellent skills and experience in preparing comprehensive reports; experience and expertise in application of data processing/analysis software; experience of working in a large international organization, preferably the UN and or comparable organization an advantage.
For this position, strong command of the English language is required, both spoken and written.
Strong computer skills required, including Word, Powerpoint, Lotus and Excel as well as experience of working with software for data analysis.
Payments will be based on education, experience and deliverables over the consultancy period. There are set remuneration rates for consultancies. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the consultant. The fees will be paid as per agreement.
Applications should include:
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
- Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
- Expectations regarding remuneration
All applications should be submitted to:
Mr. Stephen Macharia
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Fax: + 254 20 76263235
Please be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
Deadline for applications: 24th July, 2012
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com