CONSULTANT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Issued on: 10 September 2013
INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR (KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT)
20 SEPTEMBER 2013
UN-Habitat has developed a knowledge Resources page under the Project Accrual and Accounting System (PAAS) to provide staff with knowledge that can inform new projects. The Knowledge resources page provides links to useful Archived documents and supports new projects with regard to lessons learned and best practices. The resources also have a page on Market Intelligence which is valuable in providing information on existing donor trends to support the Agency Donor base.
The unit also supports the Urban Gateway online portal Urban Gateway launched in April 2011 to support UN-Habitat external partners’ information, networking and knowledge exchange and share opportunities related to sustainable urbanization worldwide.
In this regard Knowledge Management Support would like to recruit a Knowledge Management Assistant to maintain the Knowledge platforms mentioned above under the Terms of references below;
Under the Supervision of Head Knowledge Management Support, the incumbent is responsible for the maintenance of Knowledge Platforms under the
- Carry out daily, scan of Google Alerts and RSS feeds of the UrbanGateway.org market intelligence databases to compile a list of the latest relevant new items, press releases, funding opportunities, jobs, scholarships, fellowships and events related to urban development issues worldwide.
- Carry out weekly searches using Google Advanced Search (Past Week) on keywords given in the UrbanGateway.org market intelligence databases and compile a list of links related to latest urban development issues.
- Carryout research and select the most relevant and useful items from the daily and weekly compilations and publish and publish on the UrbanGateway.org website under the appropriate categories/nodes.
- Act as a moderator on the Gateway by ensuring content quality and contacting users in case of any further requirement to ensure compliance with the Gateway rules for better optimization and user engagement.
- Filter the most relevant news items, press releases, funding opportunities, jobs, scholarships, fellowships and events related to urban development issues and post them on the bi-weekly newsletter and disseminate the same to the registered subscribers.
- Manage the knowledge platforms social media sites by sharing the links of UrbanGateway.org postings on Urban Gateway.org’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube (if required) and LinkedIn pages with short and engaging content and responding to comments and questions posted by users. Monitor the likes, followers and other user engagement on UrbanGateway.org’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn pages
- Develop market intelligence on projects, programmes, funding opportunities, stakeholders including donors working on sustainable urban development
- Monitor the web traffic of UrbanGateway.org on a weekly basis by keeping a close watch on the number of page views, unique and returning visitors, visitor logs, bounce rate, website subscribers and time spent on the website by the visitors through Google Analytics and Statcounter.
- Optimize the UrbanGateway.org postings by effectively re-writing the title and first paragraph and supplementing with meta information for greater visibility on search engines, analyzes and report increase in web traffic and social media pages.
- Carry out regular check on the Gateway functionality, including broken links, 404 errors, image loading problems, design issues across the webpages of UrbanGateway.org and report the same to the developer.
- Respond to queries received from website visitors and subscribers through the Contact Us page of UrbanGateway.org encourage portal usage and actively promote new items, opportunities, and events either in form of postings or banners.
- Engage with UN-HABITAT partners and motivate their participation in the UrbanGateway.org website by organizing discussions, running online polls, announcing small grant contests and prizes, posting images and embedding videos.
- Carry out research and maintain other knowledge management platforms as required
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the expected goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise.
Ability to be creative in order to increase usage on the Gateway.
Post-secondary qualification in Mass Communication, Journalism or English Literature or Urban Development Studies and additional studies in content development and/or web management.
At least six years’ experience in connecting and engaging with users online through the website including social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter; in content writing and/or online research, including social media.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
- Familiarity with content management systems , knowledge of Drupal an advantage
- Proven experience in conducting online research (using tools such as Google Alerts, Google)
- Communications capability and experience in writing unique and engaging content that can be efficiently reproduced on websites.
- Basic knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) practices, meta information, deep linking and backlink promotion.
- Knowledge of development issues.
- Experience in connecting and engaging with users online through the website including social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The individual contractor will be paid on a monthly fee of commensurate to functions performed and subject to satisfactory performance of the duties outlined above.
Applications should include:
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
- Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
- Expectations regarding remuneration
All applications should be submitted to:
Mr Isaack Waruru
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Please be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
Deadline for applications: 20 September 2013.
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org