VA No. UN-Hab-GS No. 01
Issued on: 3 September 2013
One year Renewable pending Funding Availability
17 September 2013
The position is based in the Operations Division (Office of Management), in the Finance, Quality Assurance and Information Support Branch.
The position will report to the Chief of Branch and be responsible for:
- Enter, update financial information and generate reports using IMIS and the Project Accrual and Accountability System (PAAS). This includes:
- Updating, maintaining and verifying records accurately
- Extract standard and ad hoc reports for the Branch and its clients
- Monitoring grant agreements
- Contributing to requirements of the PAAS system to ensure that the system is user friendly and meets the requirements of key users, particularly Project Administrators
- Assisting with staff training on the use of the system
- Carry out other tasks to support implementation of the PAAS in line with the candidate’s experience and background.
- Project Management and Budget functions:
- Creation of Projects and BAC Codes
- Preparation of financial aspects of Country Activity Reports
- Preparation of monthly Foundation Non Earmarked report
- Internal Development Project – creation and monitoring
- Emergency Fund Project - creation and monitoring
- Preparation of quarterly core allotments
- Monitoring of core allotments
- Preparation of biennium budgets for the organization
- Monthly/ Ad Hoc Financial Updates to the ED
- Programme and Financial Management Functions:
- Review and report on a monthly basis the status of allotment (summary and detailed) by organisational unit fund and projects. Send to Directors, Branch Coordinators and Section Chiefs
- Creation of budget revisions and allotments in IMIS
- Provide Finance and Administrative support to the various units, projects, liaison and information offices
- Produce annual financial reports for all projects
- Review and liaise on clearing of IOVs with Project Administrators and UNON
- Send on a quarterly basis summary report on Unliquidated Obligations to all PMOs for their follow-up and actions. Send on monthly basis from October in preparation of year-end closure
- For 2011 year-end close, liaise with all PMOs to request that all 2007 outstanding Unliquidated Obligations are closed. Follow up to ensure compliance.
- Provide Quarterly charges to UNON in relation to the calculation and BAC of Carbon Emission Offset as per travel undertaken in UN-Habitat.
- Contribute to taskforce on International Public Sector Accounting Standards in UN-Habitat
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned.
Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given; shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise, is willing to learn from others; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing:
Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjust priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; uses time efficiently.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Completion of secondary education required. Post-secondary qualifications in Accounting / Finance or other related area is desirable.
A minimum of three year’s relevant progressive experience in accounting and finance functions. University qualification an added advantage.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
Familiarity with UN financial procedures is an added advantage.
See UN website http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html
All applications should be submitted to:
P.O. Box 30030
Deadline for applications: 17 September 2013