Vacancy No.: UN-Hab-GS No.04
Issued on: 11 October 2013
UN-HABITAT –Land and Global Land Tool Network Unit
1 year renewable
11 November 2013
The United Nations Human Settlement Programme, UN Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The Land and Global Land Tool Network Unit, within the Urban Legislation, Land and Governance Branch of UN Habitat, has the mandate to develop pro-poor, gender responsive and large scale normative approaches on sustainable urbanization in regard to rural and urban land, innovative residential tenures, affordable land management/administration systems, land related regulatory/legal frameworks and tools.
The Land and Global Land Tool Network Unit is up-scaling its portfolio to a volume of US$40million over a period of five years. This requires a team with strengthened capacity to handle the programmatic complexity of the work, as well as strengthened administrative support to substantive officers for the implementation of the Unit’s work plan.
In this context, the Land and GLTN Unit is seeking a dynamic and skilled Team Assistant to support the administrative and substantive teams, with the objective to increase the efficiency of programme delivery by strengthening administrative and office support functions.
Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, Team Assistants at this level may be responsible for the following duties:
• Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions.
• Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
• Assists in monitoring processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
• Assists in compiling and organizing information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
• Assists in generating a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases.
• Screens phone calls and visitors; responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.), and as necessary, refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
• Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
• Assists in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
• Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicates relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
• Performs data entry and extraction functions.
• Reviews, records, distributes and/or processes mail and other documents; follows-up on impending actions.
• Updates and maintains large distribution lists; monitors, prepares and distributes various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; assists in handling arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinates shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
• Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, creates amendment and input data into IMIS, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
• Maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
• Assists in providing software and office equipment support.
• Provides guidance to less experienced staff on general office processes and procedures, computer applications, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent.
At least 4 years of experience in general office support, logistics, technical cooperation or related area
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Proficiency in MS Office
See UN website for current salary scales, allowances and benefits http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html
Applications should include:
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
- CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
- The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
All applications should be submitted to: Info.firstname.lastname@example.org
The subject of the email must include ‘GLTN VA – Team Assistant’
P.O. Box 30030
Deadline for applications: 11 November 2013
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com