Funded by: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- A survey of crime and delinquency was undertaken in 1997 in Antananarivo.
- The themes of insecurity and crime prevention emerged strongly in the debates and experiences presented at the national seminar on urban poverty in 1998.
- A participatory review was completed in February 2000 under the supervision of UN-HABITAT and SCTIP experts (Service de Coopération Internationale de Police, France).
- A strategy and action plan were developed following this review.
- Continuation of activities was made possible with new funding from the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) Programme.
- A team of 27 UNVs have been working since 2001 in developing community mobilisation and crime prevention strategies and reinforcing the capacities of the Municipality of Antananarivo to address crime and violence.
- A new Municipal Department on Social affairs and Safety was created in 2004, as a direct outcome of the project.
- Capitalization of the project's activities and development of a toolkit are currently under development.
Projet “Volontariat contre la Violence”
Dagny Mjos and Marie-Pierre Delcleve
PNUD. Programme VNU
BP 1348 Antananarivo 101
Tel: 00 261 (0) 33 11 594 16
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org /