Funded by: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Papua New Guinea's capital, Port Moresby, has one of the highest urban crime rates in the world.
- The Government of PNG, supported by UNDP and UN-HABITAT, launched the Safer Port Moresby Initiative to build city-wide partnerships to tackle insecurity problems through a preventive approach.
- Establishment of a technical support team of local and international experts based in the offices of the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
- In collaboration with local partners, the team has developed a detailed work plan for the first phase of the project.
- Conducted assessment of the extent and types of crime and insecurity and identifying characteristics of perpetrators and victims through a city-wide Youth and Crime Survey, a Social Crime Mapping Exercise in one settlement of Port Moresby, and an analysis of institutional and criminal justice data and practices.
- Results of these surveys are synthesized in a Diagnosis of Local Insecurity report that will inform city-wide consultations for developing the city crime prevention strategy.
- A broad-based Local Coalition of partners and a smaller representative Coordinating Committee were formed to guide the local technical support team.
- Training the local team and selected individuals from the Local Coalition and Coordinating Committee for capacity building and project sustainability.
- A Safer City Strategy and Action Plan based on the results of the diagnosis has been drafted.
- Various donor agencies and government bodies have expressed interest and commitment to support Phase 2 of the initiative during which the action plans will be implemented.
- Flower Pot making by youth who have been in conflict with the law
- Making Gordon's market safe - a pilot project in up-grading the market using the principles of crime prevention through environmental design
- Surveys were conducted on Youth and Crime and an informal settlement crime profile was developed
Safer Port Moresby Initiative
c/o Joseph Kaplat
Department of Community Development
P.O.Box 7354, WAIGANI, NCD
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea