Background and objectives
The city of Nakuru with 360,000 inhabitants is located at an altitude of 1858m guaranteeing a mild climate throughout the year. The city economy relies mainly on activities related to agriculture. Located between the famous Nakuru National Park and the Menengai crater, Nakuru has very strong linkages with its natural environment.
The Nakuru Local agenda 21 Project was initiated in 1995 in cooperation with the Post Graduate Centre for Human settlement of the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
- Creation of a Town Planning Unit
- Geological survey on unstable soils and volcanic activity
- Resolving space use conflicts by re-planning the Bus Station
- Revitalisation of part of the Council's rental housing stock
- Implementing alternative options for community based solid waste management
- Greening projects
- Rationalisation of municipal revenues and pricing of services
- Creation of Zonal Development Committees
- Addressing environment / urbanisation conflicts especially on the edge of the Nakuru National Park
Localising Agenda 21 – Nakuru, Kenya