Background and objectives:
Schools and other public buildings were the target of destruction, burning, looting and neglect during conflicts and economic sanctions in Iraq. The objective of this programme is to contribute to the reconstruction efforts in Iraq through the rehabilitation of schools in order to provide a more suitable learning environment for students. This activity is part of a long-term plan to create functionally efficient school buildings in Iraq.
The specific objectives of the project were to:
- Provide students with a suitable learning environment;
- Promote employment and develop construction skills among the population.
The main activities include:
- Rehabilitation of schools, including basic services;
- Procurement of furniture;
- Implement capacity building for local contractors;
- Employment generation.
- Comprehensive rehabilitation of 85 schools;
- One hundred and sixty new classrooms built;
- Water and sanitation facilities for 60 schools rehabilitated;
- 55 schools furnished;
- 428,000 days of employment generated;
- Capacity of 90 small Iraqi contractors reinforced.