Background and objectives:
This project is part of a programme on the implementation of the Cities Without Slums Action Plan in countries and cities of Western and Central Francophone Africa. In this framework UN-HABITAT developed a proposal for a City Development Strategy (CDS) for Ouagadougou, focusing on improving access to basic urban services for those in underprivileged settlements. The objective of the programme is to assist the government of Burkina Faso and the Municipality of Ouagadougou to develop a participatory strategy to improve municipal infrastructure and access to basic urban services for the poor.
The main activities included:
- Setting-up steering committee and technical unit of the project.
- Assessment of emerging issues (e.g., spatial growth, municipal infrastructure, access to basic services, urban environment).
- Identifying weaknesses, strengths and opportunities.
- Preparation of the city economic profile using the Local Economic Development (LED) approach and incorporating lessons from the African Local Economy Recovery programme (ECOLOC) approach already used by MDP in Burkina Faso.
- Formulation and validation of the City Development Strategy (CDS) including definition of a five-year investment programme and a priority action plan for developing basic infrastructure and improving access to basic services;
- Capacity building of national and local institutions.
- Formulation of a resources mobilization strategy to finance the implementation of the action plan.
The following results have been achieved:
- Cooperation agreement signed with the Municipality of Ouagadougou to provide administrative and logistical support for the implementation of the project at local level.
- Two committees (policy steering and technical) created to advise the project team and monitor the implementation of the project.
- Sensitization meetings held with different stakeholders
- Situation analysis report and communication strategy prepared and validated during stakeholders workshop.
- Report on strategy for crime prevention prepared and submitted to the municipal council for endorsement.
- The following thematic working groups have been established: (a): urban mobility, (b) basic urban services, (c) urban governance, (d) urban poverty (e) environment, and spatial. Their reports will be utilized in preparing the City development strategy for Ouagadougou.
- Consultant recruited to assist in preparing the City Development Strategy and related action plan.