The gathering of the international youth organizations and groups during the process
of the international youth and crime prevention summit has resolved to establish
the International Youth-led Development Platform under the auspices of Baobabconnections.
This international platform aims to involve children and youth across the world
as active partners in Community Safety and Urban Crime prevention.
We believe that to address crime and violence one has to tackle poverty, empower
women and children, and most importantly establish global economic policies
that make globalization work for all
We call on the United Nations, all spheres of government, civil society and
the business community to support our endeavor to involve youth and children
as active partners in the planning and decision making.
The international youth-led development platform is committed to developing
an action plan in the course of the year.
This will include the establishment of:
- Youth-led decision making body
- International Best Practice award for young people
- An accreditation framework for youth development workers
- Resource Space for youth Initiatives
- Act in concert to call governments to action
The international youth lead platform calls on the Government of South Africa,
the provincial government of KZN, and the municipality of eThekwini to:
- Facilitate the establishment of an African resource centre
- To present this resource centre to the appropriate structures to ensure
youth ownership and similarly ownership across Africa
- Establish a website for this centre to facilitate and cultivate open discussion
- Ensure that this centre is youth-friendly in development and design
We would like to thank UN-Habitat for having associated youth groups in the
design of the Conference from day one; the Department of Community Safety and
Liaison of KZN for hosting and resourcing the conference; the MEC for having
embraced the idea of the Resource Centre and its adoption and the Government
of South Africa.
We thank everybody for their commitment and we as the international Youth-led
Development platform will do our part.