The signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement on 18 August 2003 by the previous Government of Liberia and the rebel movements led to the establishment of the National Transitional Government of Liberia (NTGL) and brought to an end 14 years of civil conflict. This project forms part of a UN-HABITAT /UNDP/ NTGL proposal in partnership with other UN agencies to jumpstart the recovery of Liberia by facilitating shelter delivery and employment creation through the establishment of County Resources Centres and an employment creation programme. The objectives of the project are to:
- Rehabilitate Montserrado County Resource Centre and make it appropriate for training large numbers of ex-combatants;
- Provide skills training in building materials production and construction technology for de-mobilized ex-combatants and local communities and to facilitate establishment of income generating micro-enterprises; and
- Support the peace process by effective reintegration of ex-combatants into local communities by providing skills that will help them to create employment opportunities through labour-based infrastructure rehabilitation and shelter construction.
- Rehabilitation of Montserrado County Resource Centre.
- Skills training for 640 ex-combatants on a series of construction skills i.e. carpentry, masonry, electricity, plumbing and others.
- Psychosocial counseling and trauma healing.
- Participation in reconstruction work, housing construction and income- generating enterprise development.
The project was initiated in July 2004 and training is currently underway for 640 ex-combatants. Reintegration of ex-combatants into their communities is taking place.