Project code: XB/SRL/06/X06(D177), XB/SRL/08/X03(D211), XB/ SRL/08/X04(D213)
Background and objectives
The primary focus of the project was to support the Government Agents (GAs) and RADA to achieve the completion of a coordinated tsunami housing programme. The project provided district level technical support to the GAs and support for the development of a National Housing Policy. The third year post-tsunami activity involved the completion of approximately 50,000 houses.
The main activities included:
- District Housing Profiles developed
- A clear statement of core tsunami housing issues faced by each district (including analysis of co-financing availability),
- A clear analysis of the infrastructure related challenges and
- A clear explanation of emerging quality issues and recommended remedial actions.
The results achieved included:
- Coordination challenges addressed as a result of the unprecedented response of aid agencies rushing to Sri Lanka.
- UN-HABITAT advocated a coherent coordination structure for the rebuilding of houses and communities.
- Post Disaster Housing Coordination Project established after initial funding delay
- Project, in partnership with key government agencies, developed structures to improve coordination in the tsunami-affected areas and in Colombo.
- Project produced improved and reliable data on the housing needs and progress being made and improved communication within implementing agencies.