BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
The programme aims at supporting the education sector in Iraq through developing institutional capacity in policy formulation, strategic planning, service delivery, project design and management, school health and hygiene with focus upon gender and human rights approaches.The project also aims at increasing participation and completion rates in basic education, including both formal and non-formal education via the provision of a conducive learning environment for 25 primary and intermediate schools, replacing old mud school structures in most deprived rural areas in Suleimaniyah, Salahaddin and Thiqar, with the
effective involvement of school communities to ensure local ownership.
The main activities include:
- Condition surveys and selection of locations.
- Formulation of alternative design options.
- Selection of contractors.
- Construction of schools and handover.
- Training of teachers, DoE engineers and asset management
The project will start field implementation in 2009.