Background and objectives
The Government of Spain is funding priority actions identified in the Rapid Urban Sector Profiling for Sustainability (RUSPS) in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mozambique and Senegal. The programme aims at building capacities of local councillors, municipal staff, NGOs/CBOs and national and local training institutions, in the areas of participatory planning and budgeting, gender mainstreaming and local-to-local women’s dialogues, local leadership skills and governance monitoring. Pilot cities in each country benefit from the training and implementation of participatory planning and budgeting processes. Training will be followed by the implementation of priority projects, funded through the participatory budgeting process and supported with complementary seed funding.
- To strengthen and build institutional capacities and skills of decision-makers and facilitators in good governance, leadership and organizational outreach.
- To strengthen the capacities of LGAs and NGOs/CBOs in establishing and undertaking local participatory planning and budgeting processes and gender mainstreaming.
- To support the process of the trained stakeholders to manage the implementation of priority actions.
The main activities include:
- Tool preparation.
- Institutional capacity building.
- Training of trainers (TOT).
- Human resource development.
- Participatory planning and budgeting.
- Implementing priority actions.
- Establishing a continuing programme.
- Monitoring and evaluating.
The following results are expected:
- Processes established for participatory planning, budgeting and gender mainstreaming.
- Capacities of training institutions built in participatory planning, budgeting and gender mainstreaming to replicate on a large scale.
- Legislative and institutional capacities built in seven municipalities for participatory planning, budgeting and gender mainstreaming.