p>Background and objectives:
The project selected a slum area in Mombasa, initiated capacity building at the municipal council and developed an action plan with a funding strategy and demonstrated community-led delivery approach of priority basic services. The programme contributed to improving water and sanitation, which are a big challenge in the informal settlements. The experience empowered the local community to own and contribute in poverty alleviation programmes. It also clarified the various and critical roles of the community and the Municipal Council in the delivery of basic services.
The main activities include:
- Prepare a layout plan of existing settlement in digitized form
- Sensitize the residents and actors on the programme objectives.
- Prepare upgrading strategy and develop the Action Plan to elaborate the strategy.
- Obtain consensus on the Action Plan and stakeholder commitment
- Prepare detailed layout plans of services to be provided and the scope.
- Oversee the construction of the demonstration projects
- Monitor and prepare reports on the activity.
The following results are expected:
- Sensitized community
- Improved water and sanitation facilities in Ziwa La Ngombe and Tudor Estate
- Linkage with KENSUP and other on-going activities for project up-scaling