Background and objectives:
The overall objective of the Sustainable Maseru Programme (SMP) was to build the capacity of Maseru City Council (MCC), its partners and other selected urban local authorities to achieve environmentally sustainable and socially inclusive urban development. The objectives were to:
- Build the capacity of MCC and other urban local authorities and their partners to better manage city environmental resources through broad-based stakeholder participation.
- Establish partnerships among urban stakeholders to respond to urban environmental planning and management issues.
- enhance leadership and urban management capacities of elected leaders and municipal officials through training
- Institutionalise the application of the urban environmental planning and management process among stakeholders.
The main activities included:
- Clarification and prioritizing of environmental planning and management issues by stakeholders.
- Action plans prepared through a broad-based consultative process.
- Implementation of priority demonstration projects.
- Consolidation of action plans to mainstream environmental planning and management.
- Resource mobilization and implementation.
- Establish linkage with the on-going Cities Without Slums Programme for Maseru and the Waste Management Programme supported by UNEP.
The following results were achieved:
- An environmental profile of Maseru and profiles of two other urban areas completed
- Consensus built on priority environmental issues.
- An environmental management information system established.
- Demonstration of the urban environmental planning and management process, tools and practices in the provision of urban services
- Leadership and management capacities of elected leaders and municipal officials enhanced.
- Capacity of MCC and other urban local authorities developed to better manage city environmental resources.