Background and objectives:
Mozambique is highly susceptible to floods and cyclones and the 2007 and 2008 cyclones compounded an already difficult situation. However, only local reconstruction interventions of damaged houses and infrastructure were undertaken, and no advantage was taken of the post-disaster situation to raise awareness on the need to reduce the structural vulnerability of houses. The government needs urgent assistance and technical orientations in order to identify durable and sustainable solutions which can mitigate the impacts of cyclones in the long term to avoid future protracted and repeated emergency situations, every time a vulnerable area is affected.
The objective is to support innovative and sustainable local mitigation interventions for reducing vulnerability to recurrent floods and cyclones and build resilient communities in the cities of Marromeu and Vilanculos.
The main activities include:
- Preparation of participatory flood mitigation and preparedness plans.
- Design and construction of an elevated public building to serve as a social service facility in normal times (e.g. health centre) and a safe-haven in case of floods and at least 10 low-cost flood-proof houses.
- Delivery of capacity building activities to community members and municipal authorities.
- Preparation of a cyclone mitigation and preparedness plan
- Design and construction of at least 10 low-cost cyclone-resistant houses
- Organisation of and participation in inter-sectoral meetings to ensure the active involvement of the different ministries, to secure coordination and to prepare a scaling-up plan for future replication of the tested mitigation models in other vulnerable areas of Mozambique.
The following results have been delivered:
- Innovative local solutions and activities for “living with floods” carried out in Marromeu Municipality.
- Cyclone-resistant construction and related capacity-building activities implemented in Vilanculos Municipality, Inhambane Province.
- Coordination, dissemination and advocacy activities undertaken at national and sub-regional levels.