Background and objectives:
The goal was to support the activities of the UN-HABITAT Office (HAPSO) in Nigeria and of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development.
Detailed objectives were to:
- Promote cooperation with Nigeria towards achieving the Habitat Agenda.
- Strengthen mechanism to integrate commitments and actions concerning adequate shelter for all and sustainable human settlements.
- Assist the Federal Government to prepare proposals for funding and implementing projects.
- Encourage policies and strategies that would enhance gender equality in human settlements development.
The main activities included:
- Setting up HAPSO Office.
- Providing technical support to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development.
The results achieved were:
- UN-HABITAT National Office operational.
- Advisory services offered to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development.
- New funding for the ministry from joint proposals.