Background and objectives:
The programme was designed to contribute towards:
- The Somali Reconstruction and Development Programme 2008-12 target outcome of Decentralised Service Delivery achieved in all of South-Central Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland.
- Outcome 2 of the United Nations Transition Plan 2008-9: ‘Local governance contributes to peace and equitable priority service delivery in selected locations’
- Millennium Development Goals.
The aim of the programme is that local governance contributes to peace and equitable priority service delivery in selected locations. The specific objectives are that:
- Communities have access to basic services through local government,
- Local governments are accountable and transparent.
The main activities included:
- Review and facilitate local governance policy formulation and law harmonisation.
- Facilitation of community consultations, reconciliation and election of councils.
- Capacity assessment of local government, and development and implementation of a district capacity-building package.
- Assessment of revenue generation capacity and opportunities, and develop awareness on revenue collection
- Allocation of funds for eligible community and district priority projects.
- Design and implementation of capacity development package for community and private sector enterprise
- Review, development and implementation of civic education programme.
- Review and introduction of participatory development planning and budgeting mechanisms.
- Development of participatory community monitoring tools and assistance in the implementation of these tools.
The results achieved were:
- The UN-HABITAT Somalia Programme was capacitated to maintain its operations and core staff during the transition from the SUDP to the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery.
- The programme provided inter-agency leadership towards the finalization of the UNTP Outcome 2 work plans.
- The programme provided headquarters and field-level coordination concerning the integration of ongoing projects.