Background and objectives:
This project aims at increasing community awareness on the issue of provision of basic services under the Public Works Component of the Rapid Impact Emergency Project executed by UNDP. Through a successful implementation, the project enhances the planning and management of public works programmes, and to promote public understanding and appreciation of the role of public works in the growth and development of towns and settlements in all 10 States. Urban development programmes depend critically for their success for effective advocacy and public awareness through communication, information and education. A systematic approach to plan and implement strategy for public awareness is needed to mobilize different segments of society to support sustainable urban development and successful delivery of public works.
The overall objective of the community awareness component is to assess and increase the level and scope of community awareness and education on the issue of provision of basic services.
The main activities include:
- Field Studies - initial assessment of public opinion, attitudes and awareness on provision, implementation and maintenance of public services and infrastructure,
- Community Consultations - Series of community consultations to be carried out in local ties where public works components are being implemented;
- Awareness Strategy- Preparation of community awareness strategy and development of required awareness material.
- Community Sensitization - Undertake community sensitization on issues related to public services. Test of material at local level.
- Preparation and reproduction - Community awareness material to be prepared and reproduced
- Strategy implementation, material distribution and evaluation - Distribution of materials in all States covered by the RIEP programme.
The results so far include:
- Community awareness strategy on provision of basic services
- Community awareness material prepared and distributed