Background and objectives:
This project aims at undertaking an assessment of the non-state actors involved in community driven development and recovery interventions under the Public Works Component of the Rapid Impact Emergency Project executed by UNDP. The objective is to establish analysis-based knowledge to inform the design of CDD/CDR type operations of the support community by profiling the capabilities of national NGOs, CSOs, CBOs to the extent to which they are effective vehicles for:
- Community level service delivery in the fields of relief and development activities; and
- Serve as support organizations in assisting local governments and the communities at large.
The information, its careful analysis and respective findings will support a formulation of a medium/longer-term capacity strengthening programme for non-state actors in Southern Sudan.
The main activities include:
- Identifying the non-state actors who are currently involved in the CDD/CDR activities in South Sudan.
- Review their existing capacities, requirements and priorities for capacity development.
- Assess individual performance of NGOs, and CBOs/CSOs.
- Initiate the discussion at the national level about the legislation and framework under which the local NGOs and CBOs/CSOs are operating.
- Identifying priorities and requirements for capacity building of the non-state actors to participate in and contribute to community driven development and recovery (participatory plan formulation, programming and implementation, technical skills, etc.)
The expected results will be:
- Database of the CSOs/CBOs/NGOs operating in Southern Sudan
- Capacity assessment and analysis of their capacities, requirements and priorities for capacity building;
- Identification of medium/longer-term capacity strengthening priorities for non-state actors in Southern Sudan.