Background and objectives:
The Support to the States Programme (SSP) aims to strengthen the capacity of the 10 state governments in promoting participatory decentralised governance and effective service delivery. In this respect, the overall project focuses on support for policy coordination on support to states; planning, budgeting and application of public financial management policies; capacity building; and urban and physical infrastructure rehabilitation management. SSP project focuses primarily on providing technical assistance to selected Ministries and State Governments for state capacity building.
The major delivery strategy is to employ short-term professionals in supporting GoSS counterparts in their efforts to undertake capacity building of state governments; and deployment of technical personnel to states to bolster state capacity in planning, budgeting, financial management, urban planning and management of the rehabilitation and construction of state physical infrastructure.
Under the programme, UNDP has sought provision of expertise services by UN-HABITAT in the implementation of the SSP programme. The UN-HABITAT component focused on initiating the development of an urban management framework, initiating urban management training delivery and developing the project documents for three pilot upgrading projects.
The main activities included the development of:
- Urban Management Concept Note.
- Training guidelines and materials development for Urban Management.
- Criteria for selection and implementation of demonstration projects in selected towns.
The results achieved were:
- Technical assistance for development of the urban management concept.
- Urban management training guidelines.
- Criteria to select localities for demonstration settlements upgrading projects.
- Consultative workshop with all key stakeholders.
- Action plan for support to the 10 states in urban development and management.