Background and objectives:
Following the success of the LA21 project in Bayamo, it was decided to replicate the project in three other Cuban cities. The project is part of a regional cooperation strategy between UNEP and UN-HABITAT for the execution of joint urban environmental assessments, GEO Cities, to be followed by the formulation of LA21 strategic action plans and demonstration projects. The objective is to strengthen the capacity and leadership of municipal authorities to apply inter-sectorial, participative, and sustainable strategic approaches and instruments for urban environmental planning and management.
The main activities included:
- Conducting capacity-building activities for local partners
- Organizing workshops and consultative processes for the follow-up and validation of the GEO-City and LA21processes and results
- Establishing and supporting working groups to be developed in each city
- Formulating strategies, action plans and demonstrative projects for each city
- Promoting city to city cooperation initiatives.