Background and objectives:
This project focusses on the priorities of the municipal administration, including: implementation of mass urban transportation programmes, social development initiatives in poor neighborhoods, continued modernization of the municipality and urban management. The objectives have been to finalize the design and implementation of four mass transport corridors and follow up its operation; to design and implement a municipal GIS-based to monitor urban development; to optimize internal procedures; to design and implement an internal system to follow up MDGs at local level; to promote slum upgrading and prevention; to consolidate inter-municipal exchanges with other local governments across the region.
The main activities have included::
- Improved diagnosis of urban transportation conditions and possible improvement, including public-private partnership
- Training of municipal staff on MDGs, urban indicators, project preparation and management, fund-raising, inter-institutional partnership arrangements
- Design and building of social and economic indicators, including analysis and draft proposal of key policies and strategies;
- Quarterly backstopping missions from ROLAC to provide direct technical assistance to the Municipality and its partners.
The results achieved so far have been:
- Two mass transport corridors implemented (2006 and 2008)
- Reorganization of the municipality to incorporate a public-private Municipal Foundation as main operator of the mass transportation system
- Municipal GIS-based system implemented for downtown area
- Converging initiatives based on MDGs criteria agreed upon to strengthen urban and social planning processes
- 12 distant education programmes aired nationally on TV on specific themes, such as safe preparation of food and house improvement.
The results achieved were:
- Approved GEO City reports in consultation with local and national stakeholders
- Selected, prioritized and approved urban and environmental issues
- Conducted city consultations in the three cities with the participation of all stakeholders
- Produced reports on the consultations
- Formulated specific urban environmental strategy and action plan for all cities
- Diploma course on urban environmental planning and management
- Information material on LA21 and dissemination through local technical magazines
- Demonstrative projects implemented in Holguin, Cienfuegos and Santa Clara.