Access to adequate shelter and land remains a challenge in Mali. Informal settlements, which are lacking amenities, are mushrooming around the capital Bamako and the secondary cities.
- The objectives of this project are to support the government and the National Association of Malian Municipalities to formulate a national policy on slum improvement.
- Assess the results of the national housing strategy implemented by the government since 1992.
- Develop on a participatory approach, national Cities without Slums programme.
- Identify opportunities to mobilize public and private investment in slums improvement.
- Build the capacities of national and local authorities to prevention and upgrading slums through training, sharing of lessons and best practices.
- Document and disseminate the lessons and best practices learned in implementing the programme.
- The government of Mali and the National Association of Malian Municipalities.