Background and objectives:
UN-HABITAT and UN-ESCAP are jointly implementing a project on Urban Safety for the Poor in Asia and the Pacific with a focus on the most vulnerable groups. As part of the project, UN-HABITAT will develop and implement pilot projects in three cities. Phnom Penh has been identified to receive support for the pilot project activities. The project aims to enhance the capacity of local actors to address insecurity so as to achieve improvements of the lives of the urban poor. The project seeks to achieve the objective by supporting the local governments in adapting and replicating tools and best practices of good governance in the areas of urban safety.
The main activities included:
- Identification of key partners and stakeholders.
- Organization of local inception workshops/meetings with stakeholders.
- Establish a local working group/task force.
- Establish criteria for the selection of communities.
- Selection of communities together with local and community-level counterpart organizations.
- Selection of consultant/research assistant to conduct the diagnosis.
- Preparation of safety diagnosis and analysis in the selected communities using selected tools and methods developed by the Safer Cities Programme.
- Documentation of the information and analysis developed.
- Dissemination of the information.
- Organize and convene workshops to discuss results of the diagnosis and areas of priority for intervention with local stakeholders.
- Safety increased in the selected communities and tools to prevent violence and crime made available to local stakeholders.
- Organization of workshops with community-level organizations to facilitate the implementation.
- Documentation of activities in order to facilitate adaptation and replication of selected SC tools and best practices in crime prevention.
- A dialogue on safety and security issues is established between local government, civil society organizations and urban poor communities.
- Organization and convening of workshops/dialogues with local stakeholders to discuss issues of safety.
- Organization of a media strategy workshop/training.
- The project is in the start-up phase and a national coordinator is being recruited: