Background and objectives:
In Nepal, immediate provision of shelter and basic non-food items to IDPs and returnees affected by conflict is acknowledged as the most critical priority for families to settle in the community in a conducive environment. Therefore, 605 vulnerable families were identified who desperately require emergency support of shelter materials, shelter repair and non-food items. The targeted families were located in Kathmandu, Surkhet, Rukum, Nepalgunj, Biratnagar and Lahan.The objectives of this emergency project were to:
- Provide basic essentials, non-food items and emergency shelter materials for 605 vulnerable families (3,000 beneficiaries) of IDPs or returnees with priority on women headed-households, elderly women and widows who are in desperate need of assistance.
- Optimize resource allocation through accurate target group identification.
- Combine NRC counselling and legal assistance activities with shelter project.
The main activities included:
- Procurement of materials for shelter repairs and non-food Items.
- Verification of beneficiaries to reassess and reconfirm their crucial shelter and non-food Item needs.
- Distribution of materials to families identified and verified.
The results achieved have been:
- 3,000 affected beneficiaries (605 families) received emergency packages of non-food Items.
- Beneficiaries now able to withstand weather conditions (monsoon etc.) and start normal life.