Background and objectives:
The 2005 earthquake in Pakistan caused the physical disappearance of land. The needs of those families who physically lost their land in the earthquake have been addressed by supporting them to acquire new land and regain the same starting position as others who were reconstructing new homes.
The objective of the project is to support ERRA and the Revenue Department in facilitating access to safe land for families living on hazardous land, in a swift, transparent and safe manner.
The main activities included:
- Identify all beneficiaries identified, verify claims and facilitate access to land.
- Set up an expanded Land Management Information System linking registered beneficiaries to disbursements of financial assistance.
- Facilitate access to land through ‘one window’ operations.
- Develop and operationalise a grievance redress mechanism to provide possibility of appeal.
- Develop training material and train government officials.
The results achieved have been; 10,029 beneficiaries applied. 3,889 claims verified. 536 beneficiaries access to land facilitated. 315 grievances addressed. 2,000 Frequently asked questions, 10,000 posters printed and distributed, 2 radio shows. 2,724 government officials trained.