Background and objectives:
The project built on and up-scaled earlier support to the cities of Shenyang and Wuhan by helping them to institutionalize the lessons learned. It also undertook a comprehensive adaptive study on the SCP-EPM/China approach and process which customised a sustainable city environmental planning and management approach for China and built an institutional structure to disseminate the lessons learned and application approaches to additional cities and communities.
As a result, SCP-Asia support has enriched national and city implementation of Local Agenda 21 and up-scaled the lessons learned to other cities within the NSCN.
The main activities included:
- City partnering and mobilization of the project participants.
- Localization of the SCP-EPM/China Guidebook and development of training curricula & tools.
- SCP-EPM/China implementation in the new cities.
- Guidebook and training material revision, SCP up-scaling & promotion nationally through NSCN.
The results achieved have been:
- City selection strategy, candidates agreed and documented with signed partner agreements, Project group, Project Phase 1 working plan agreed and Phase 1 implemented.
- Adapted guidebook and training toolkit, evaluation seminar proceedings prepared and distributed, training program for NSCs documented and reported, progress report disseminated.
- Public consultations and inter-departmental working arrangements documented, EPM training documented, Environment Profiles, City Consultation proceedings, Strategy and Action Plan for identified environmental issues by city, and demo-projects documented, EMIS operational, Implementation Report prepared and disseminated amongst NSCN.
- Revised and finalized SCP-EPM/China guidebook and training materials, China SCP Implementation and Replication Strategy Report, National seminar proceedings, high level official reporting meeting minutes, and Completion Report prepared and disseminated to NSCN.