Background and objectives:
This project supports a key thrust of UNDP-ROK Country Programme Document 2005-2008 to facilitate the achievement of MDG Goal 7 – Ensuring Environmental Sustainability by:
- strengthening environmental planning and management at the City-level by introducing and applying the SCP-EPM process in two Gangwon Cities
- providing Provincial-level support to the SCP-EPM city activities to strengthen the Provincial Comprehensive Environment Plan preparation, implementation by integrating Biodiversity principles and good practices
- strengthening the development of policies and supporting instruments at the National-level, especially to develop an integrated Korean-style SCP-EPM model and guidelines based on lessons learned at the City (including Hanam and Seogwipo) and Provincial-levels; and
- Strengthening Korea-Asia Regional and Global-level linkages.
The main activities included:
- Technical advice to adapt the lessons learned from earlier Hanam and Seogwipo SCP-EPM experiences to Gangwon’s socio-economic and cultural circumstances
- Provide EMIS technical support
- Advice in formulating and strengthening a Sustainable City Network in Korea by sharing experiences from other countries.
- Facilitate Gangwon partner networking with other SCP partner cities, including outgoing/In-coming study tour programmes
- Identify additional technical expertise and partnerships relevant to the Project including linkages to other UN-HABITAT and UNEP Programmes, especially helping to link Gangwon Province and its partners to UNEP’s Geo-City network and technical support systems;
- Support the Gangwon partners to document their experiences for policy learning, national, Asia regional and global sharing.
The results achieved have been:
- SCP-EPM process adapted to Korean and especially to Gangwon’s socio-economic and cultural circumstances
- GIS Unit strengthened with EMIS applications
- Gangwon experiences documented for policy learning at the city and national- levels, and shared in the Asia Region
- Gangwon visibility raised in the Asia Region through networking with other SCP partner cities
- Linked Gangwon Province and its partners to UNEP’s Geo-City network and technical support systems;
- Strengthening the Sustainable City Network in Korea by sharing experiences from other countries.