Background and objectives:
The objective of this project is to mitigate flood damage by improving urban drainage and canal systems, while also improving the living conditions of project-affected households. The objectives are to improve the environment and the quality of life for people in the Lunawa area by:
- Alleviating floods through drainage system improvements, including the rehabilitation of existing canals and streams;
- Creating a hygienic and pleasant environment
- Upgrading the living conditions of communities.
The community development component aims to resettle families living on canal/lake banks and to upgrade underserved areas by providing basic facilities. The main activities are to:
- Undertake enumeration surveys and take stock of re-settlement households;
- Create awareness, social marketing and community-level development;
- Develop and adopt resettlement strategy, policy and programme;
- Develop and implement plans for re-settlement;
- Develop and implement underserved settlement plans;
- Develop and implement monitoring and grievance mechanisms; and (g) restore income sources and prepare/implement livelihood development programmes.
The results so far include:
- A ‘State of the Art’ resettlement programme translating the National Involuntary Resettlement Policy developed and implemented for the first time.
- Project has successfully made ‘Project Affected Persons’ (PAPs) the real beneficiaries of the project, setting a role model for resettlement programmes.
- A Resettlement Policy, a Participatory Resettlement Strategy, and Process and Activity Plans developed, and put into practice with assistance from leading Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Project Affected Persons entitlement packages developed.
- Resettlement sites, layout plans and house designing prepared in consultation with Project Affected Persons.
- Resettlement programmes tailor made for various Project Affected Persons categories developed and implemented.
- Livelihood and Income Restoration Programme developed and implemented.
- Partnerships with two MCs established to implement the up-grading component.
- All beneficiaries resettled in the location of their choice.