Background and objectives:
Thanh Hoa City is the political capital and economic hub of Thanh Hoa Province. The city is proposed to be part of a new Development Triangle between Thanh Hoa City/Nghi Son – Sam Neua (Lao PDR) – Hanoi. The fast growing Thanh Hoa City has a population of 250,000 that is expected to double by 2015.
The objective of the project was to prepare a grant proposal for submission to Cities Alliance for developing the City Development Strategy for Thanh Hoa City in a regional development context
Main activities included:
- Conduct consultations with the key government agencies and stakeholders on the vital issues to be addressed with regards to the urban and regional development of Thanh Hoa City and Province;
- Provide a brief overview of the urban and regional development issues and their magnitude in the country and trends, and the lessons learned from the development initiatives and efforts made hitherto; and
- Hold consultations with international development agencies and donors.
The results achieved were:
- A grant proposal to Cities Alliance on the preparation of "City Development Strategy of Thanh Hoa City in a Regional Development Context"
- Draft ToRs for the proposed technical assistance.