Background and objectives:
The Municipality of Chisinau requested UN-HABITAT’s support to develop a City Development Strategy in order to achieve Chisinau’s potential as a European capital city. The main problems faced are in the area of local government, finance, and the application of modern urban and land management practices. Key priority areas include:
- Basic infrastructure and services
- Municipal finance
- Housing upgrading and development.
The strategy would be prepared using participatory approaches involving public and private stakeholders. The proposal would also aim to maximise benefits from lessons learned in the application and implementation of Cities Alliance approaches in other countries.
The main activities included:
- Preparing three thematic background papers on basic services, housing and municipal finance. This includes an assessment of the current situation and initiatives, evaluation of the best practices, proposing focus areas and potential strategies to be reflected in a full-scale City Development Strategy
- Holding interviews, partner consultations and workshops to discuss and finalize the background papers.
The results achieved were:
- A project document submitted to the Cities Alliance to support the formulation of an operational development strategy for Chisinau focusing on housing, basic infrastructure and efficient municipal asset management.
- Raising awareness of all partners and stakeholders on potential actions at the municipal level and an enhanced consultative/participatory planning process implemented.
- Partnership developed with UNDP to ensure a joint UN support to Chisinau Municipality.