Background and objectives:
The framework of cooperation is established by the Agreement of Cooperation between UN-HABITAT and the Government of the Russian Federation. The agreement establishes the principles, areas and mechanism of cooperation to achieve sustainable development of human settlements and contribute to implementing Habitat Agenda and meeting the relevant Millennium Development Goals and is aimed at improving and enhancing cooperation between UN-HABITAT and the Russian Federation through its partner in the Government, the Ministry for Regional Development.
The main objectives are:
- Improving the mechanism of cooperation for more efficient and result orientated cooperation
- Further strengthening the network of Local Urban Observatories and the National Urban Observatory
- Publication of State of Russian Cities 2008 Report
- Addressing the challenges of sustainable cities development, including an affordable housing sphere.
The main activities include:
- Information activities, including publication of a Russian version of Habitat Debate (4 issues annually) and Observance of World Habitat Day
- Support to operational Local Urban Observatories
- Providing inputs to the World Urban Forum IV in Nanjing through supporting a networking event on affordable housing and presentation of State of Russian Cities 2008 Report.
The anticipated results will include:
- Awareness raised on importance of sustainable urban development challenges, shelter for all and addressing needs of low-income citizens
- Enhanced involvement of local authorities in UN-HABITAT
- Local Urban Observatories (LUOs) network with methodological assistance of National Urban Observatory strengthened
- Workshop for training experts of LUOs held
- State of Russian Cities 2008 Report printed in Russian and an electronic English version prepared and distributed
- Two events (networking event on affordable housing and presentation of the State of Russian Cities 2008 Report) took place at the WUF 4;
- Selection of Habitat Programme Manager in Russia scheduled to be completed early in 2009
- UN-HABITAT office in UN-House in Moscow operational
- Preparation of a sub-regional Expert Group Meeting on affordable housing and housing reform.