From the Regional Consultation mentioned above; UN-HABITAT and partners developed a project on “Local Management and Disaster Risk Reduction in Central America and the Caribbean”. The project objective is to strengthen capacities in local risk management for urban development and to ensure that a regional strategy is in place for the incorporation of disaster risk reduction criteria into overall processes of human settlement management.
In order to achieve the five objectives of the programme, regional, national and local authorities, as well as civil society organizations, will implement the activities of the programme by:
- strengthening the capacity of local authorities for the management of local development and vulnerability reduction activities through the adoption of an overall strategy;
- supporting national processes aimed at the decentralization of disaster and local management activities;
- strengthening regional exchanges and cooperation; and application of lessons learnt;
- promoting and strengthening the participation of civil society on disaster risk management and local development and decision making; and
- Improving access to information and knowledge by local practitioners.