World Habitat Day provides an excellent opportunity to highlight key human settlements and urban issues. We would like to thank all our partners who in past years have organized awareness raising activities on the day. We published the celebrations that took place around the world in 2008 on our website which receives millions of visitors per year, and in the World Habitat Day report that reaches over 25,000 key partners.
This year, we again call on our partners in central government, local government, civil society the private sector and the media to take part in organizing activities to raise awareness and stimulate debate on the important theme of Planning our urban future.
Governments and local authorities in particular can use this day to launch and publicize their policies and strategies for planning better cities.
As a guide, here are some of the activities that you can help organize:
- Use mass media, particularly newspapers, radio, television and the internet, to draw attention to World Habitat Day issues. This includes, pre-event publicity, televised and radio debates, blogs, press releases, street banners, exhibitions, press conferences, and broadcast video and audio spots.
- Hold World Habitat Day celebrations in your city or town, involving residents and all urban actors from civil society organizations, schools, urban professionals, the private sector, community representatives, etc.
- Organise public information campaigns, and use popular theatre to create awareness of the problems and issues.
- Use the occasion to publicize, reward and demonstrate tangible improvements in cities, highlighting the problems and solutions. This can include present awards to best practices in your city.
- Organize competitions to find solutions to human settlements and urban problems. Essay and painting competitions help create awareness of the World Habitat Day theme in schools and colleges.
- Organize fund raising, recreational or entertainment activities like football matches, processions, charity walk, or concerts, and use the proceeds to upgrade and extend services for poor communities.
- Encourage postal authorities to issue special World Habitat Day stamps.
To support city and country-level activities, UN-HABITAT will compile an information kit including posters, short video on the theme, and World Habitat Day branded T-shirts and stickers for your use in planning your World Habitat Day event.
In September, we shall also provide in all six UN languages, the main findings and recommendations from our 2009 flagship Global Report on Human Settlements whose focus is on urban planning. These findings will help policy makers align their World Habitat Day messages the World Habitat Day theme.
Let us publish your event
Please let us know if you wish to organize a local awareness-raising event by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org providing as many details as possible about the event. And once World Habitat Day is over, please provide us brief details of media coverage and photographs if possible. We will post these on the World Habitat Day page of our website www.unhabitat.org, which receives millions of visitors and include them in the final World Habitat Day report, which is sent to all our partners.
Thank you for your continued support.