Raise awareness in your city - organize a World Habitat Day event!
As a guide, here are some of the activities that you can help organize:
- Use mass media, particularly newspapers, radio and television, to draw attention to World Habitat Day celebrations. If possible, issue press releases, display posters, organize press conferences, and broadcast video and audio spots.
- Draw attention to the problems and issues on this year's theme, particularly Urban Land and Legislation & Governance, Urban Planning & Design, Urban Economy, Urban Basic Services, Housing & Slum Upgrading, Risk Reduction & Rehabilitation, and Urban Research & Capacity Development through press articles, radio and television documentaries and panel programmes with policy makers, government officials, academics, journalists, other professionals, and community representatives.
- Organise public information campaigns, and use popular theatre to create awareness of the problems and issues.
- Use the occasion to publicize, reward and demonstrate tangible improvements in urban issues in your community.
- Organize competitions to find solutions to human settlements and urban problems. Essay and painting competitions help create awareness of the World Habitat Day theme in schools and colleges.
- Organise fund raising, recreational or entertainment activities like football matches, or concerts, and use the proceeds to upgrade and extend services for poor communities.
- Encourage postal authorities to issue special World Habitat Day stamps.
- Education authorities in collaboration with local and national authorities can encourage the introduction into the school curriculum of teaching programmes about sustainable urban development.
To support city and country-level activities, UN-Habitat has compiled an information kit including a poster, and a short video on the theme for use by any partner planning a World Habitat Day event. Information kits and publicity materials are available on the World Habitat Day website for free download by partners planning events around the world.